BOARD POSTING RULES AND GUIDELINES 1/19/2019 Jan 19, 2019 18:08:54 GMT -5
Post by RachelEm on Jan 19, 2019 18:08:54 GMT -5
Roswell, NM Fanatics Rules and Guidelines (January 2019)
A little back story...
Roswell, NM Fanatics was created for fans of the CW series Roswell, New Mexico which made its debut January 15, 2019. This new show is a reboot of the original WB series, Roswell, which aired October 1999. That series was in turn an adaptation of Melinda Metz’s young adult book series "Roswell High". So the story of Max, Liz, Michael, Maria, Alex, Isabel, and Kyle has been around - in one form or another - since 1998!
This forum in particular has been lovingly created by three long-time best friends and members of the original fanatics community Roswell Fanatics. Here at Roswell NM Fanatics, we’ve strived to pay respectful and thoughtful homage to the wonderful writing community in which the three of us met and spent obsessive amounts of time writing, discussing, and laughing with one another and other members of the community. We hope that new members feel the same kind of homey inclusion here as we did nearly twenty years ago!
With that said, the GENERAL RULES AND GUIDELINES for this new community are pretty simple:
- This is a fan fiction forum which will have stories written from users of all ages, experiences, and walks of life. Therefore, each writer must be treated with dignity and respect. Period. This is the golden rule. We understand that not everyone will like the way a story is written. Everyone has their own preferences on how they want to read our beloved characters behaving, and might become taken aback if an author chooses to write the characters or shift the plot unconventionally. However, that in no way condones the bashing of authors in question and their talent as a writer. If you must leave feedback (which, feedback is strongly encouraged), make sure it is constructive and in no way inflammatory. Admins and mods will be developing a 3 strike system to ensure all members are participating in a safe and encouraging environment.
Creative writing is an extremely personal and nerve-wracking hobby. Please do not be that person who humiliates or distresses another writer or member. It will not be tolerated.
- The golden rule also applies to all discussions. This show will likely produce topics of conversation that may prove controversial. While healthy, mildly heated debates are welcome, we do ask to keep the heat level at low. Do not incite arguments or become inflammatory. No personal attacks will be tolerated. Take a note from Thumper's mother: If you can't say anything nice, then don't say anything at all.
- Engage, have fun, be creative! The Admins and Mods are here if you have any questions, concerns, or suggestions!
FORMAT FOR POSTING STORIES
- Please be aware of which forum your story is best suited. We have multiple forums for anticpated story-types (and will have room for more if the need arises). If your story follows the conventional canon of the show, then it most likely belongs in Roswell, NM Canon Fanfiction forum. Additionally, we have forums for authors and readers who prefer universes that play signifcantly with the show's canon but keeps the subject of aliens incorporated, as well as an area of those who are just borrowing the characters but have so far removed themselves from the canon of the show that aliens are no where to be read. Please post your stories accordingly. If you have any questions or you're unsure of where your story falls, please do not hesitate to contact an Admin or Mod.
- For the sake of clarity, the subject line of each story needs to follow specific guidelines:
Title, Rating, Main Couple Parings Represented, and Date of Update are all REQUIRED in the thread title. An example of a correct thread title would be as follows:
"What's So Great About Normal? MATURE, M/L, 1/19/19"
Other details are encouraged but not at the expense of the required elements. Details such as genre, chapter number, page number of most updated chapter (if the thread has developed into multiple pages) can all be added if utilized wisely.
"What's So Great...MATURE, M/L, AU, CH8, pg13, 1/19/19"
The above would be an acceptable thread title that incorporates extra components without sacrificing the required details. Longer titles are encouraged to be shortened with ellipses "..." which to inform readers of a longer title.
- PLEASE DO NOT CREATE A NEW THREAD FOR EVERY NEW CHAPTER. Keep all chapters and parts of your story on the original thread.
STORY DETAIL FORMAT
Typically, there will be a designated area for author information, summary, etc. before the story opens. For example:
SUMMARY: This is just a blurb of what the story is about. What would happen if Max decided not to heal Liz that fateful day in the Crashdown?
COUPLES: M/L, CC
DISCLAIMER: The characters of Roswell, NM belong to Carina Adly Mackenzie, Melinda Metz, and the CW. No infrigment is intended with the posting of this story. (If writing for original Roswell [1999-2001] mention Jason Katims, Melinda Metz, and The WB and UPN)
AUTHOR'S NOTE: The author is a full-time wife, mother, and nurse who has found time in her busy schedule to dedicate to writing once again. Please be patient. Feedback is always appreciated!
The above is just a generic version of what is typically seen. However, everything in RED is required. Especially the disclaimer, as we are borrowing the characters and settings of other people's creative genius. It is imperative that it is made perfectly clear that we do not own or mean to insinutate that we own the characters or setting within Roswell, NM (or it's predecessors).
If it is discovered one or more of these components are missing from your story, an Admin or Mod will contact you and ask the missing criteria be added.
All stories should be edited for grammatical and spelling errors prior to posting. This is not to say stories need to be flawless, but certain care needs to be taken to ensure readability. Too many errors in grammar or spelling can be distracting to the reader and will not produce much traffic to your story. Keep this in mind when preparing your story for posting.
While it is not a requirement, it is certainly encouraged to seek a beta for your story. A beta is someone who reviews your work before you post, and typically looks for grammar, spelling, and continuity issues. A betas role is not limited to those duties, and can do wonders for your writing and self confidence.
The rating system is an important detail in both the thread title and the opening of the story post. This forum welcomes all ratings, but we also must be aware that not all members will feel comfortable reading explicit material. Also, there will be minors. (Please, if you are under the age 18, please do not read stories with a stronger rating than MATURE.)
The rating systems is as follows:
CHILD: this material is suitable for all ages. There is no sex, violence, or offensive material.
YTEEN: this material might be a little more mature of younger readers.
TEEN: this material is suitable for teens and older readers. Stories with this rating might have implied sexual situations, mature language, and some violence, but overall nothing too explicit in nature.
MATURE: this material is only intended for mature readers. Stories with this rating will likely have adult content and adult language, and scenes with stronger and more explicti violence. Reader discretion is advised.
ADULT: this material is absolutely for 18+. Stories with these ratings will very likely have scenes of extreme violencc, extreme language, and explicity sexual content.
We do not intend to censor our writers, but we do ask that they warn readers by labeling with an appropriate rating. If you are unsure if your story will progress to a higher rating then you may start with the most suitable rating and then change it - both in the thread title and the story detail - once it takes that rating shift. Author's Notes are also a very good place to express your uncertainty of the overall rating of a story.
Because readers have varying degrees of comfort, we ask that our writers take special care to warn readers of any sensitive material that they might encounter. This could be our TRIGGER warning, alerting readers that there might be sublte or explicit reference to sexual violence or other distressing themes. Please keep this in mind when preparing your story for viewing.
These rules are likely to change and expand as the Admins and Mods see necessary. All members will be alerted of any modification to the rules and guidelines.